Friday, December 12, 2014

Building Block Elf Ornaments!


Here is another fun project for Christmas.
It is easy and cheap, and a lot of fun to make.
They are these cute little 
wood block elf ornaments! 
(Or you could make them as toys or shelf decorations.)

My mom made some for us with our initials when I was little.
So, I used hers as inspiration and made one for each member of our family.
That would be my husband and the two cats.
=)
(As you see in the picture above P=Panda P=Paul (aka papa bear), and I=Ivy)
Here is the original one my mom made.

Of course I put my own little spin on them.
Here is how I made them.

For starters I bought a bag of the toy wood blocks.
(I got mine at target they were under 5 bucks. 
You could also use blank wooden blocks from the craft store if you wished and just paint the initial on.)


The rest of the materials are 
Wood Beads
Felt
Pom Poms
Whatever ribbon I had in the house
A couple of sharpies
and 
Of course a hot glue gun.
(Now I had all this stuff in my house, 
but all together the materials would cost around $7- $10.
But once you had them you could make many more crafts with the leftovers.)


The first thing I did was was cut out my felt pieces.
I just cut out simple little collars.
You could do perfect circles or like I did make them a little scalloped around the edges.
And four rectangular pieces each elf for arms and legs.


All you do next is start gluing,
 Dab a little hot glue and stick down your arms so they stick out on the sides.


Then glue down the collar piece and the wood bead down.


Then the leg pieces so they stick out the front.
(Make sure you glue them sticking out so letter you want is in front.)




Then I glued the pom poms on the ends of the arms and legs.




If you'd like,
 to finish off the body add a little dab of glue about 1/2 down one leg and stick the other leg on top.
Now it will look like your elf is sitting with his legs crossed.


If you would like to make an ornament add a little loop of ribbon so you can hang them on your tree.
just put a little dab of glue in the back of the head and stick on your ribbon.


Next I made a little bow with some skinnier ribbon and glued it on the front.


Now the hat!
I could of just glued the pom pom on the tops of their heads,
but I didn't have enough for all of my ornaments.
So, i came up with the idea of making little hats out of ribbon.
I HAVE TONS OF THAT STUFF!!!
(I have a bag of recycled ribbon from work. Ribbon that would be left on packages and would have just gone in the garbage. It was good to be able to use some of that up.)
Anywho...
I simple cut a enough ribbon to make a little cone shape put a little hot glue to hold the seam together.


Then I glued it on top!


To finish off the hat I added a little trim around the base.
(This was a piece of drawstring I recycled from an old sweat shirt. You can really get your craft supplies from any where if you think recycle and think outside the box!)


Last but not least I grabbed my sharpies and added a little face.
If you are not confident in your artistic abilities just keep it simple.
Two dots for eyes & a little smiley face smile.
The rosy cheeks are just two lager dots off to the side of the eyes.
Don't bother with the nose and the eyebrows if it scares you.
(But I think you'll find if you practice on a piece of paper before hand you can get it right.)


Tada! Elves!




I hope you enjoyed these cute little guys a decide to make some of your own.
You could also use some scrap fabric in place of the felt.
(Cut up an old shirt for scrap fabric if you have none around the house.)
And if you don't have ribbon you could also use a skinny strip of scrap fabric or yarn,
get creative!!!

Thanks for stopping by!
Check out some other holiday project I've made!!
Happy Handmade Holidays!!!

<3 HOLLY

HollyPelletierClark@gmail.com











No comments:

Post a Comment