Friday, March 8, 2013

Photo transfers with Mod Podge

Well, a lot of people have been asking me
how I did the photo transfers onto 
the little Wood Box I posted the other day.

I did the project late at night,
and wasn't able to make any in process pictures
So, I had to do another project
to put this little how-to up.
(On no, twist my arm.)

I did this one on a wood block.
(The same kind I made my Quilt Blocks on.)

Alright, here we go.

There are different kinds of gel mediums that you can use 
to do this.
I have not used any of these.
Hehehe.
I have wanted to do this for a while,
so i decided to experiment with Mod Podge.
(Because that's what I have in my house.)

Frist step.
Gather your materials.
*Mod Podge
*Surface you are putting your image on
*Paint brush
*Magazine Photos

(I haven't tried using computer prints yet,
but that is my next experimenting adventure.)

Second step.
Cut your image to fit your on your surface.

Third Step.
Apply a generous layer of Mod Podge.
(Don't glob it on, but find a happy medium between glob and stingy.)

Next Step.
Dampen
(Not Soak)
Your image, and lay over the Modge Podge.

Then,
(Gently) 
smooth your picture out and push the excess water off.
(I caught it with a paper towel.)

Now let dry.
(It being winter, I set mine on the heater. A hair dryer would work as well.)

Once it is completely dry,
take a brush and dampen the back of the paper.

Then take a damp paper towel,
and gently begin to rub the magazine paper off your surface.

Your transferred image should appear after the paper
is rubbed away.

Once you have all the paper off let it dry, and then apply a little coat of Mod Podge to seal the ink.
Here you are.
Choose your images well,
and you get this great vintage photo look.
Next I'll play around with computer printouts.
Until then,
here are a few other things I played around with
making the photo transfers.

A Little Wooden Box

On a canvas that was just a mess.

I even tried it on some craft paper.
(I did a layer of Mod Podge first and let it dry,
then I started the process.)
Well thanks for stopping by,
I hope you have as much fun playing around with different surfaces as I have been having.

<3 Holly

HollyPelletierClark@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Great job and a new technique I have not tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was just playing around and thought I'd try it. Some times that is the best way to discover a new way do to something. I didn't think it was going to work, and was so happy when it did. hehe

      Delete