Tuesday, December 11, 2012

D.I.Y. Salt Dough Ornament Gifts

This year I decided that I wanted to do a 
Handmade Holiday!
Every year my husband and I stress out about what
the perfect gifts for everyone are,
and how we are going to 
pay for them that
by the time the Holiday is over
we have completely forgotten how to enjoy it.
Well,
I'M NOT DOING THAT THIS YEAR!!!!

This year I wanted to have fun 
and enjoy every moment of the season with my friends,
family, and Hubby.
So instead of making myself crazy over busy presents,
I made myself crazy
over crafts.
=)

I made
salt dough ornaments, 
and painted them.
I'm going to pack them all up in little sets of 2 or 3
in hand made paper boxes,
and give them to each family as a whole,
instead of to each individual.
(For example, one set to my sister and the kids, 
one set to my sister-in-law, 
and you get my point.)
So here is how I went about it... 
these aren't the same salt dough ornaments 
I made when I was 8!
Here is the recipe I used
(I made A LOT of ornaments so you can probably 
cut this ratio in half.)
4 cups of flour
2 cups of salt
and 
2 cups of water
250-300 degrees
for approximately 45mins to 1 Hr
(Until dried out.)
I painted mine so I wasn't too concerned about them getting brown.
If you are looking to keep them light,
you should favor the lower temperature,
for a longer period of time,
as well as keeping your eye on them.
I cut out my ornaments with cookie cutters,
and made the holes on top
using a straw.
(You can also use a chop stick, 
just remember to wiggle the hole a little bigger,
because when the ornaments bake the dough will shrink a little.)
When they cooled down,
I painted them with a base coat of white acrylic paint.

THEN, 
I just went crazy
 and started painting them
all kinds of colors.


When I was done painting them I also
 signed them with the year and Paul and I's name,
then sprayed them with a coat of 
clear acrylic sealer.

I tied some embroidery thread of all kinds of colors
so they could be hung from the tree!


I'm packing them all up into hand made paper boxes.
(Made from recycled paper bags from the grocery store.)

Tying them up with ribbon!
Viola... perfect little gift made with love.



Hope all of your Holiday preparations are going well...
Remember to stop and enjoy it,
and remember that it isn't about presents,
but about the loved ones in your life.
Thanks for stopping by.
<3 Holly

here are some other Holiday Projects for you:

Salt Dough Advent Candle Spiral

Winter Cakes I



HollyPelletierClark@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment